So a lot of you may be asking, should my kids be taking private lessons or attend the sailing clinics?
Well, there are Pros and Cons when deciding between the two. It really just depends on what you are looking to get out of your time spent with EISS. Here is a pro/con debate to help you decide which is right for you....
1) More direct attention from Instructor [essentially 1-on-1]
2) Able to work on specific areas of weaknesses in sailing + can
some-what direct lessons to focus on certain techniques
3) More flexible dates and times for learning
4) You will generally know everyone you are learning with
1) Costs more to do private lessons than attending a clinic
2) Lessons times are some-what dependent on clinic times.
(meaning they are subject to change and must be flexible
according when the clinics are run)
***Private lessons are suggested for sailors wishing to advance to a higher skill level of sailing. Or for sailors wishing to learn how to sail at an accelerated rate.***
--->Sailing Clinics are set dates, times, and curriculum for beginner sailors. [Essentially, a clinic is structured very similar to sailing school general programs; the main difference is that they are offered in a short time-frame and are offered for both adult and youth sailors.]
1) The are cheaper in cost than private lessons.
2) They are a great way to meet new people! (especially for
those visiting the island)
3) Dates/Times are less likely to be subject to change (meaning
they are set and really only dependent on weather).
1) Clinics are not flexible to your schedule as they are set
2) The learning curriculum is geared towards beginners and
follows that particular flow. There is less "wiggle-room" to
make a tailored sailing lesson towards your skill level.
***Sailing clinics are suggested for new sailors looking to learn how to sail for pure entertainment and for those with "a day of fun out on a boat" goals rather than for those who wished to reach a higher skill level of sailing (racing, being able to rent boats/sailing without an instructor present, ect.). They are also suggested for visitors to the island looking to meet people who are like-minded and adventurous!***